January 28, 2009

Book #13: Letter to My Daughter

My grandmother gave me Maya Angelou's Letter to My Daughter for Christmas. I've been a huge Maya Angelou fan forever. My mother took me to hear her speak at Bass Concert Hall when I was in high school. She was amazing, simply the most lyrical woman who's ever lived. I bet she can make ordering a cheeseburger sound like a poem.

"You may not control all of the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them."
That was just in the first couple of pages. In truth, the entire thing is quotable. It's a series of vignettes written as a letter to the daughter she never had. Her thoughts on honesty, vulgarity, charity, her relationship with God, and friends that have passed. She also has some advice about not whining, but with all due respect to Ms. Angelou, some of us may skillfully use whining to bring about the change we wish to see.

It's a really quick read. In fact, I finished it in one evening. And before you make fun Sally, this kind of thing is why we're months behind on our television shows.

No comments: