August 25, 2006

all TV, all the time

It’s that time again! You know, the time of year when I get inordinately excited about Fall TV shows? Here’s what I’ll be doing this Fall instead of having a life:

“Bones” (premieres Aug. 30): Procedural drama, but instead of cops, it’s an FBI agent and a forensic anthropologist. What can I say? I love David Boreanaz. It’s actually a nice change to see him getting to go out in the daylight. This show has a pretty good supporting cast. And Emily Deschanel is growing on me.

“Nip/Tuck” (premieres Sept. 5): Two plastic surgeons in Miami and their screwed up family. It’s shallow. It’s seamy. It’s twisted. It’s awesome. I’m a little concerned about the advance buzz about way too many guest stars. But the Carver is gone, and I can’t wait!

“Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” (premieres Sept. 18): Behind the scenes of an “Saturday Night Live” type variety show. It’s Aaron Sorkin y’all! Show some respect. This can’t be anything but great, it’s just not possible.

“My Name is Earl” (premieres Sept. 21): Loser wins lottery and tries to make up for his past wrongs. Everyone on this show is freakin’ hysterical, and I hope Jaime Pressly wins the Emmy. Who ever thought that sentence would ever be uttered?

“The Office” (premieres Sept. 21): The office of Dunder-Mifflin paper company. Jim kissed Pam! He told her that he loves her! But she’s marrying Roy! I can’t even tell you how much I’m dying to know where they go from there.

“Ugly Betty” (premieres Sept. 22): Based on the telenova about an ugly ducking in the fashion industry. The advance word on this makes it sound very The Devil Wears Prada. But I love America Ferrera (ever since Real Women Have Curves) so I’m thinking of trying this one out.

“Gilmore Girls” (premieres Sept. 26): Abnormally close mother and daughter live in quaint Connecticut town. Lorelai and Luke called off the wedding! Then she slept with Christopher! I’m actually kind of glad the Palladinos are gone (writers/creators Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino). The last two seasons have been lacking and a fresh show runner might just save this sinking ship.

“One Tree Hill” (premieres Sept. 27): The lives and loves of high school students in Tree Hill North Carolina. I don’t care what you say, I love this show. It’s a ridiculous and shallow teen soap opera, and I can not stop watching it. At the end of the season, there were at least four different girls who could be pregnant, and at least three people who could be dead. It was that good of a cliffhanger.

“Veronica Mars” (premieres Oct. 3): Teenage detective noir. Veronica is going to college! With Wallace and Mac! And Logan... sigh. Last season was uneven, but I still think this is the second best drama on TV. And I'll be brief now, because we all know I won't be in the future.

“Lost” (premieres Oct. 4): Forty plane crash survivors stranded on one creepy island. The hatch done got blowed up! Why is Charlie so creepy? Will Kate ever choose between Jack and Sawyer? What happened to the polar bear? And Lostzilla?

“30 Rock” (premieres Oct. 11): Yep, it’s completely ridiculous that NBC has not one, but two shows about an "SNL" type variety show. This one is a half hour sitcom written by Tina Fey and starring Tracy Morgan and Alec Baldwin. I’m gonna give it a shot.

No comments: