August 15, 2004

Those We Do Not Shut Up About

We saw The Village last night. I liked it, so I’m not sure why the critics are hatin’. I liked it better than Unbreakable and it was definitely better than Signs. You have to appreciate that M. Night Shyamalan is one of the few filmmakers out there who still has a surprise or two up his sleeves. (And since I’m one of those annoying people who guess the plot twist out loud seconds before it’s revealed, ruining the entire movie for others- according to Rob, then this should be very appreciated.) I was a bit disappointed at Joaquin Phoenix and Sigourney Weaver’s lack of screen time. Who knew Bryce Dallas Howard was going to monopolize the entire thing? Oh, and I’m calling it right now: She’s the poor man’s Claire Danes. And since Claire Danes took up with Billy Crudup while Mary Louise Parker was eight months pregnant with his kid, that’s not saying much. And no, there’s no explanation for why I possess that knowledge.

No comments: